Wednesday, October 17, 2012

KPOP WTF: Miss A - I Don't Need A Man

This is time for the first official round of KPOP WTF! What is KPOP WTF? Its all the Wonderful, Terrible, and oh dear god kill it with Fire fashions featured in Korean music videos.

Round One: Miss A - I Don't Need A Man



I have yet to listen to this song, I've been sitting here watching Batman with the video on mute while I look at the clothes and take screencaps. Needless to say this isn't a song review, but this isn't a music blog anyway.


These aren't bad, but they aren't fabulous either. The main thing that could be done to fix the outfit is find a jacket with a fitted waist and a flare at the bottom so that their shape isn't lost while wearing them. The only time the girls don't look boxy with those jackets is when they are in extreme motion like the above screen cap.

Oh dear god. This could be passable if they got rid of the dollar sign buttons, but even then it wouldn't be anything special. But those buttons are so terrible that I am not only frustrated with their stylists, I want to smack around whoever decided their existence was a good idea.


Fei:

This headband/tiara is killer. I wonder where they found it... And I've been partial to shredded t-shirts for quite a while, so it is nice to see it is making its way into this little corner of my life.


Just a ripped up t-shirt and shorts? Boring. This is something I might wear out to do my grocery shopping. A bit simple to have in a music video.

Even though this outfit isn't my favorite, I cannot deny that some clever design went into it. The heart that appears when her sleeve and the side panel are aligned is not exactly a simple thing to do. I'm extremely glad they caught it in the video.

Kill it. Kill it with fire. Oh dear god who thought this was a good idea? There is nothing good or redeemable about this. Her shirt doesn't even fit well.

Jia:
Mini crown! I miss her pink hair, but that is something which will never change. I'm glad she has some red streaks to add, for lack of a better word, "flavor". I cannot fault this on any level, even the red lipstick.

I love this. I don't know why, but I do. I might swap out the t-shirt for something more visually interesting, but it is still wonderful.

I used to be surprised when they showed her navel piercing, but I'm now worried that it is going to be a styling gimmick. The tassels on her belt are rather tacky, but she made it work. And I want that hat. Oh man do I want that hat.

Did their stylists just get lazy hipster on all of us? They put no effort into her hair and I'm sorry, but moustache accessories are not, have never been, and will never be cool. And that poor dog, not only did it get a tshirt, but it also got a bunch of necklaces and braids? That is a bit too much. Just one of those three would have been too much.

Min:
Again with the dollar signs? Ugh. Also her nail polish doesn't match. Too heavy of a blue tone. The necklace looks like it would be fairly easy to make, but it works very well as a statement piece in a music video.

 Get rid of those brooches and this is probably my favorite outfit in the video. The fact that the flared shirt is paired with matching shorts rather than a skirt is unusual and actually a rather perfect idea.

The outfit is okay at best. The skirt isn't a flattering cut. Originally I wanted to say it just doesn't fit, but upon closer inspection it does fit and is just hideously unflattering. At very least the stylists were smart enough to not put her in fishnets. I would be extremely pissed if someone dressed her up like a cheap hooker.

Again with the sloppy styling. She looks the least horrendous, but again, the shirt doesn't fit. This is bland and uncreative. Add a jacket, find a shirt that fits, do something more interesting with her hair/makeup. Anything but this.

Suzy:
Apparently now that Suzy is getting older the company wants to sexualize her. Sorry guys, its not working. She still just looks like a little girl playing dress up. I like the crop top, but it doesn't flatter her. I hate the plaid shirt, it doesn't flatter anyone. 

Seriously what is with the oversized plaid shirt? Was it stolen from her boyfriend or something? The shoes are cute, but nothing terribly special. I'm just partial to wedges. It was hard to get a good shot, but I should probably also mention that her shorts are at least 2 sizes to large.

Why is she smelling that caterpillar? Seriously, why?


Their stylists need to be replaced. Aside from a couple of gems this music video was mediocre at best. These girls deserve better. Back when they debuted their stylists made a wardrobe consisting entirely of unmodified American Apparel look fashion forward and innovative, but now they look sloppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment