Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Jewelry

So recently I have made a few new acquisitions in the realm of jewelry. I love jewelry and I tend to wear too much of it, but it makes me happy so it is something that won't be changing any time soon.


Cross double ring: Shasa ($3)
Wing double ring; Shasa ($3)
Black rhinestone claw ring: gift from friend
Black metal wrap ring: gift from friend
Hidden double ring: Shasa ($3)
Crystal point earrings: Walmart ($4)

I rarely shop at Walmart. In fact unless I have absolutely no other choice I will not set foot inside of a store. I've only been in a Walmart three times in the last two years. But on Monday my friend was on a desperate quest for a new work shirt and Walmart was our last resort. So, of course, we had to look at the jewelry. The earrings immediately called to me so I bought two pairs, one to wear as earrings and another to turn into necklaces. They were a nice find, but not anywhere near enough to make me want to return to the store with any regularity.

Although I'm not a particularly religious person for some reason in recent years I have grown an aesthetic affinity to crosses. It probably has something to do with my parents living in the deep south. And possibly my love for goth and aristocrat fashion. In fact my family finds the cross ring a bit off-putting, just as they did with my former pair of favorite earrings. But over the years they've learned to grit their teeth and tell themselves "this is a phase, it too shall pass".

Double rings are one of my favorite things right now, though now that I own a few it has made me realize how absolutely frustrating they can be. Because they essentially fix two of your fingers together it is next to impossible to type at any reasonable speed while wearing them. The wing ring, in particular, has proven to be the most frustrating. It only fits on the ring and pinky fingers of my right hand and because the wings extend so far beyond the edge of my hand I cannot write or draw while wearing it. As much as I adore the ring it will not be becoming a part of my daily ring collection for the fact that I cannot perform simple daily tasks while wearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment