Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Stylin' Music Videos

Although its lazy writing, I'm making a top ten list. Aside from my review of Fantastic Baby it has been a very long time since I updated and I really need to fix that. Now without further rambling, here are my top ten favorite concepts in Kpop.



10) Miss A - Breathe


On an individual basis I love most of the outfits in this video, but as a whole they don't mesh well. There is no common thread to link them together so it seems rather sloppy. Some of the prints I'm not a fan of and the horrendous yarn wig they have Jia wearing in a few shots makes me cringe. I think my favorite look on its own is Jia's outfit with the purple swimsuit with striped pants and gold shrug. It just calls my name.


9) DBSK - Tri-Angle (featuring BoA and The TRAX)


Most of the people I know absolutely hate the styling for this video. But you know what? I don't care that I'm the odd one out on this. Their vinyl pants could be fitted a bit better, yes, and Jaejoong and Junsu's hair extensions are a bit ridiculous, but overall I enjoy it. My personal favorite stylistic choice is probably Rose, the blond drummer who is very much suited to the game of MAN OR WOMAN that many j-rock fans play. That hair is fabulous. Stylistically most of them would fit right in at most of the clubs I attend.

8) Super Junior - Don't Don


There is so much vinyl in this video. SO MUCH. But luckily it all fits better than the vinyl in Tri-Angle. Apparently I really like it when SM does vaguely post-apocalyptic concepts, or when anyone does post-apocalyptic concepts for that matter. I think the best part of this are the little details that you can only see in stills, like how the placket on Kyuhyun's shirt has three rows of buttons instead of just one. Also it is somewhat embarrassing to admit this, but this video is one of the major reasons why I ended up getting a mohawk. Sungmin's mohawk is glorious.

7) GD & TOP - Knockout


This video is a crazy mess and I love it. What really won me over is how they are obviously trolling everyone instead of taking this seriously in the slightest. I mean, segways and capes? How much more ridiculous can you get. GD's hair is horrendous, but I'm willing to overlook that because he's a trolololol.

6) Coed School - Too Late


I'm not sure what the thought process behind the mishmash of styles in this video is or why ANYONE ever thought it was a good idea to have them dancing in bathrooms, but I'm in love with most of the outfits. The jumpsuits are a bit boring, but the grunge look? Glorious. My major complaints involve poorly constructed or poorly fitted components.

5) Miss A - Bad Girl Good Girl


Despite the fact that this is a (comparatively) low budget music video and the fact that every single piece of the wardrobe was purchased from American Apparel I think the entire idea was executed beautifully. Fashionable dance students? Hell yeah. Pink hair? Definitely a win. Thigh socks? They're after my heart, they really are.


4) SE7EN - Better Together


Even if I didn't love virtually everything about this music video, the girls in the zentai suits trump all and would put this video in my top ten anyway. Seriously, those girls have AMAZING outfits. Sadly, as stylish as SE7EN looks, his female backup dancers steal the spotlight every time they make an appearance.

3) 2NE1 - I am the BEST


I've already covered this video, both my likes and dislikes, but I have to say again that Bom's latex outfit is FANTABULOUS.


2) G Dragon - Heartbreaker


Years after this video was released I can't get the wardrobe out of my head. The white jacket with the red armband, in particular. The stylists definitely made the right choice in bleaching his hair to death. Out of everything in the video the one thing that always gets under my skin is when he's wearing the vest covered in mirror fragments it cuts between being zipped and being open, which really isn't much of an issue. The white jacket with the red armband is definitely my favorite. And have I mentioned white jacket and armband?


1) 2NE1 - It Hurts


I don't have words to properly express how gorgeous I think this video is. The song isn't really my cup of tea, but the styling is immaculate. The first time I saw the video I spent most of it thinking that it looked like YG had raided the wardrobe of my boss. CL in particular looks like her clothes (and hair and makeup) were pulled straight out of my former boss's brain. And that isn't a bad thing in the slightest. And I want that cake, you have no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment